Monash Youth Committee
Monash Youth Committee meetings are held monthly face to face either at Youth Services or Monash Council. There are two meetings scheduled online in 2022 during exam periods.
We have completed our May intake and our next intake will occur in September 2022. If you are interested in joining later in the year please contact us via email.
The aim of the Monash Youth Committee (MYC) is to be the voice and inspiration of Young People in Monash.
The MYC is an inclusive group of young people, committed to creating greater connections between young people and Monash Council.
To achieve its mission, the MYC are guided by the following:
- Cultivate community awareness
- Inclusiveness and valuing diversity
- Personal initiative
- Inspirational leadership
- Action and personal example
Who can join the Monash Youth Committee (MYC)?
Membership is open to young people aged 15 -25 who live, work, hang out or study in the City of Monash. There are 21 places for young people in the group representing a variety of cultures backgrounds, ages, geographic areas and genders.
The MYC will undertake to involve young people in:
- The development of Council processes, policies and strategies identifying and promoting issues of importance to young people in Monash; and
- Creating opportunities for young people to meaningfully participate in civic life.
Committee members will be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge and understanding of the needs and issues affecting young people.
- An interest and/or involvement in local and/or broader affairs, advocacy and networks.
- An interest and understanding of Local Government policies, services and/or programs.
- Ability to show commitment to the group by attending monthly meetings and participating in working groups.
What does the group do?
At MYC, not only will you have a chance to share your ideas, opinions, and needs as a young person, you will also have the opportunity to:
- Have your say on council issues
- Advocate for change on issues important to young people
- Make new friends
- Learn and develop new leadership skills
- Represent the views of all young people in the City of Monash
Some of MYC achievements include:
- Successfully advocated for a Headspace facility in the City of Monash.
- Being active in consulting young people or representing young people in a range of community consultations including the proposed Glen Waverley precinct (Glen Waverley Library redevelopment), City of Monash Transport Strategy, City of Monash Open Space Strategy and is currently providing input into the next youth plan.
- Developing welcome packs for young people in the City of Monash from refugee and multicultural backgrounds.
How do I join or get more information?
To join the MYC please call Bill on 9518 3900 or email YRC.Reception@monash.vic.gov.au
After receiving your form, your membership will be considered. We will be in touch to discuss with your further. At this stage you may be invited to an informal interview. If successful, we will ask Council to endorse your membership.
- Wednesday Evening 5.45pm- 8.00pm (once a month)
- Monash Youth Services Building Level 1, 2 Euneva Avenue, Glen Waverley 3150
- 9518 3900