The Monash Young Person's Reference Group (MYPRG) aims to be the voice and inspiration of young people in Monash.
MYPRG is a group of young people aged 14 – 25 years who meet once a month, along with two Council officers and a Councillor to chat, have fun, and share ideas and enthusiasm.
Mission and values
MYPRG is an inclusive group of young people, committed to creating greater connections between young people and the Monash City Council. MYPRG talk and take action on ideas and issues that are important to young people, such as mental health, public transport, public safety, constructed environment and building a stronger community.
For MYPRG to achieve its mission, we believe these values are crucial:
- Cultivate community awareness
- Inclusiveness and valuing diversity
- Personal initiative
- Inspirational leadership
- Action and personal example
Who can join the group?
Membership is open to young people aged 14 -25 who live, work, hang out or study in the City of Monash. There are 19 places for young people in the group representing a variety of cultures backgrounds, ages, geographic areas and genders.
What does the group do?
At MYPRG, not only will you have a chance to share your ideas, opinions, and needs as a young person, you will also have the opportunity to:
- Have your say on council issues
- Make new friends
- Learn and develop new leadership skills
- To represent the views of all young people in the City of Monash
Some of MYPRG achievements include:
- The committee has been running Humans of Monash on Monash Youth Services Facebook page since November 2015.
- Leading up to the last Federal election the group advocated to Federal Government election candidates for improved mental health services in Monash.
- The committee has been active in consulting young people or representing young people in a range of community consultations including the proposed Glen Waverley precinct (Glen Waverley Library redevelopment), City of Monash Transport Strategy, City of Monash Open Space Strategy and is currently providing input into the next youth plan.
- The committee has recently begun facilitating random acts of kindness in the City of Monash.
How do I join or get more information?
To join the Young Person's Reference Group please call Bill on (03) 9518 3900 or email email@example.com
After receiving your form, your membership will be considered. We will be in touch to discuss with your further. At this stage you may be invited to an informal interview. If successful, we will ask Council to endorse your membership.
- Wednesday Evening 6.45pm- 9.00pm
- Monash Youth Services Building
14 Bogong Avenue, Glen Waverley VIC 3150
(03) 9518 3900